Matt Talbot has a dedicated team of staff working to serve the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of Lincoln's working poor and homeless through outreach, advocacy, education and the provision of food and shelter. Positions currently seeking applications are posted here. Thanks for your interest!
Matt Talbot Kitchen & Outreach, a faith based hunger relief and outreach program which serves the working poor, homeless, and hungry of our community, is seeking to employ a full-time Diversion Specialist. The Diversion Specialist will identify and implement strategies that will prevent individuals and families from having to actually enter shelter and help secure permanent housing (if the immediate alternative to shelter isn’t permanent). MTKO uses an empowerment approach to get each individual to work towards their own conflict resolution. The Diversion Specialist will bolster each person’s own ability to think for themselves, weigh and consider options and advocate for their own needs and ultimately act on their own behalf.
Qualifications: The Diversion Specialist shall have at least two-years of experience working with homeless or persons of low-income and possess a broad awareness of community resources. A bachelor degree in Human Services or related field is preferred. Life experience may substitute. Skills in mediation and conflict resolution are a plus. In addition, the Diversion Specialist must possess the following qualities:
- A genuine interest in and concern for all homeless and near homeless individuals and the ability to advocate for this population with other professionals in the community.
- Commitment and ability to engage in an empathetic, non-judgmental way with people in stressful situations – to establish rapport in order to help them resolve their immediate housing crisis. Needs to be cultural competent across all populations.
- Ability to work effectively in emergency situations.
- Develop and maintain resource information on services available for homeless or near homeless individuals and families.
- Be versed in and have a commitment to use conflict resolution and mediation skills.
The position offers a full-time flexible schedule in a supportive team centered environment. Competitive wages and full benefits are offered. Please submit an application, cover letter and resume to Sara Sunderman, Outreach Coordinator, at email@example.com or PO Box 80935, Lincoln, NE 68501.