Sneak more veggies into your menu!
· Make pasta dishes go green. When spaghetti with meat sauce’s on the menu, add a load of extra veggies like spinach, summer squash or mushrooms.
· Remember herbs are leafy greens too. Add fresh herbs to any rice, pasta or grain dish.
· Get fancy with mac and cheese. Spinach, tomatoes, peas, and broccoli make awesome additions.
· Mix the potatoes. Sweet and regular mashed potatoes are perennial favorites. To add some extra nutritional value, mix the two types 1 to 1 in a mash.
· Sneak them in casseroles. Shredded zucchini or summer squash can be added to virtually any casserole without changing taste or texture.
· Add veggies to grilled cheese. Melted cheese between two slices of bread doesn’t have much green value. Add a few layers of veggies. Spinach or arugula, tomato, and avocado make awesome additions.
· Try adding carrot purée or chopped mushrooms to ground beef recipes. From hamburgers to meatloaf, a few steamed and puréed veggies (or a mix of carrot and sweet potato) go a long way.