Hope is Contagious Too
Services are Ongoing with Modifications
Matt Talbot is committed to serving individuals and families experiencing homelessness and near homelessness with dignity and compassion during the COVID-19 pandemic. That commmittment continues even as our community's COVID cases decrease and more community members become vaccinated.
Modifications to service delivery currently include:
- Following CDC and HUD recommendations for homeless shelters, masks are not required at Matt Talbot Kitchen & Outreach but are still strongly encouraged. Staff are required to continue mask use in the dining room during busy meal times and masks continue to be available to anyone who would like to wear one.
- Takeout meals for lunch and dinner are provided daily. All guests are asked to wash their hands when they come in to receive their meal.
- Guests can dine inside the dining room, sit at picnic tables outside the facility, or take their meal "to-go". Each table has a Plexiglass divider and is limited to four people. The capacity of the dining room for inside seating is 40 guests.
- Limited breakfast items and coffee are available in the dining room.
- Monday through Friday lunch is served from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm and dinner is served from 5:00 pm to 6:30 pm.
- Weekend meals are served from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm and 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm.
- Bottled water and small cartons of milk are supplied by Matt Talbot for each meal.
- Kitchen volunteers are required to wear gloves.
- Matt Talbot's day shelter services are open with a limited capacity of 40 guests.
- Matt Talbot’s housing & case management, mail distribution, street outreach, counseling and substance use evaluation services are critical and ongoing. Precautions are taken to mitigate the risk of virus transmission.
- Donations of hygiene items and bottled water are appreciated and can be dropped off Monday - Friday from 8:30 am - 6:30 pm. Clothing donations are not accepted.
- Monetary donations are appreciated by mail (PO Box 80935, Lincoln NE, 68501), via our website, or by appointment.
How You Can Help
- Make a financial contribution through our website. Your gift during this crisis provides essential services for those who need food, shelter, support and hope.
- Give the gift of a gift card! We have a special need for gift cards to grocery stores, Walmart or Target. These can be mailed directly to us at PO Box 80935, Lincoln NE, 68501.
- Provide a meal for our guests from a local restaurant. Contact Sydne at 402-817-0622 to see about available dates.
- Make or donate washable cloth face masks for our staff and guests. Donations can be mailed to Matt Talbot or dropped off by appointment (please contact Victoria at 402-817-0623 to arrange a drop off time).
- Check out our Amazon Wish List where specific items needed for outreach can be purchased. We are practicing social distancing as much as possible, but if you would like to purchase these items locally you may bring them to Matt Talbot during regular business hours. Please contact Outreach Coordinator Sara Sunderman at 402-817-0613 prior to dropping them off.
- Create “Notes To Go”. You can help us send a message of hope and encouragement in every boxed meal we provide by writing a note or drawing a picture on a note card and mailing them to us. We will include a note card with every meal as long as they last!
- Connect with us on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn), especially during this time of social distancing. Share our messages and spread the word that meals and other services are still available.
- Pray and keep us in your good thoughts during these challenging and uncertain days.
Thank you for your compassion for the working poor and homeless. We truly appreciate your support!