Hope is Contagious Too
Services are Ongoing with Modifications
Matt Talbot is committed to serving individuals and families experiencing homelessness and near homelessness with dignity and compassion during the COVID-19 pandemic. Amidst the many closures and cancellations in Lincoln, the needs of Matt Talbot’s guests do not stop and in fact may increase as the economic situation worsens. We are working with our community partners and volunteers to ensure that we prioritize safety and continue to meet the needs of our guests. The safety of our entire community including our guests, volunteers and staff will continue to inform our choices as we move through these uncertain days together.
We are consulting with experts at the Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department and the University of Nebraska Medical Center and making modifications to our delivery of services as this public health crisis evolves. Modifications started on 3/23/20 and currently include:
- Guests, volunteers and staff are required to wear face coverings while in the facility.
- Staff, volunteers and guests with appointments are required to take their temperatures upon arrival to the facility.
- Takeout meals for lunch and dinner are provided daily with only 10 guests allowed in the building at a time. All guests are asked to wash their hands in the bathroom when they come in to receive their meal. Congregate meals are temporarily suspended.
- A "grab and go" breakfast is set out for guests on a table outside the facility.
- Guests have access to portable toilets, hand sanitizer and a hand washing station outside the facility. Water is available all day and we recently installed picnic tables to provide seating under the shade of trees.
- Monday through Friday lunch is served from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm and dinner is served from 5:00 pm to 6:30 pm.
- Weekends meals are served from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm and 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm.
- Bottled water and small cartons of milk are supplied by Matt Talbot for each meal.
- Only 3 volunteers are allowed in the kitchen to prepare and serve the meals.
- Kitchen volunteers are required to wear gloves.
- Monday – Friday the facility is only open to guests by appointment.
- Matt Talbot’s housing & case management, mail distribution, street outreach, counseling and substance use evaluation services are critical and ongoing. Precautions are taken to mitigate the risk of virus transmission.
How You Can Help
- Make a financial contribution through our website. Your gift during this crisis provides essential services for those who need food, shelter, support and hope.
- Give the gift of a gift card! We have a special need for gift cards to grocery stores, Walmart or Target. These can be mailed directly to us at PO Box 80935, Lincoln NE, 68501.
- Provide a meal for our guests from a local restaurant. Contact Sydne at 402-817-0622 to see about available dates.
- Make or donate washable cloth face masks for our staff and guests. Donations can be mailed to Matt Talbot or dropped off by appointment (please contact Victoria at 402-817-0623 to arrange a drop off time).
- Check out our Amazon Wish List where specific items needed for outreach can be purchased. We are practicing social distancing as much as possible, but if you would like to purchase these items locally you may bring them to Matt Talbot during regular business hours. Please contact Outreach Coordinator Sara Sunderman at 402-817-0613 prior to dropping them off.
- Create “Notes To Go”. You can help us send a message of hope and encouragement in every boxed meal we provide by writing a note or drawing a picture on a note card and mailing them to us. We will include a note card with every meal as long as they last!
- Connect with us on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn), especially during this time of social distancing. Share our messages and spread the word that meals and other services are still available.
- Pray and keep us in your good thoughts during these challenging and uncertain days.
Thank you for your compassion for the working poor and homeless. We truly appreciate your support!