Hope is Contagious Too
Services are Ongoing with Modifications
Matt Talbot is monitoring the news related to the spread of the coronavirus and making necessary accommodations as this public health crisis evolves. As of Monday, 3/23/20:
- Boxed “to-go” meals will be provided from 11 am – 1 pm and 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm, Monday – Friday. On Saturday and Sunday boxed "to-go" meals will be available from 11:30 am – 12:30 pm and 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm. Congregate meals will be temporarily suspended until further notice.
- Monday – Friday the facility will only be open to guests using our laundry, shower and hygiene services by appointment. Because of the recommendation to limit gatherings to less than 10 people, the dining room will no longer be available as a day shelter.
- Education classes are suspended until further notice.
- Matt Talbot’s housing & case management, mail distribution, street outreach, counseling and substance use evaluation services are critical and ongoing. Staff will be using modified means of communication to mitigate the risk of virus transmission.
Amidst the many closures and cancellations in Lincoln, the needs of Matt Talbot’s guests do not stop and in fact may increase as the economic situation worsens. We are working with our community partners and volunteers to ensure that we prioritize safety and continue to meet the needs of our guests.
We remain committed to serving the homeless and near homeless with dignity and compassion even as we make difficult decisions about modifying our service delivery during this crisis. The safety of our entire community including our guests, volunteers and staff will continue to inform our choices as we move through these uncertain days together.
How You Can Help
- Make a financial contribution through our website. Your gift during this crisis provides essential services for those who need food, shelter, support and hope.
- Give the gift of a gift card! We have a special need for gift cards to grocery stores, Walmart or Target. These can be mailed directly to us at PO Box 80935, Lincoln NE, 68501.
- Provide a meal for our guests from a local restaurant. Contact Sydne at 402-817-0622 to see about available dates.
- Make or donate washable cloth face masks for our staff and guests. Donations can be mailed to Matt Talbot or dropped off by appointment (please contact Victoria at 402-817-0623 to arrange a drop off time).
- Check out our Amazon Wish List where specific items needed for outreach can be purchased. We are practicing social distancing as much as possible, but if you would like to purchase these items locally you may bring them to Matt Talbot during regular business hours. Please contact Outreach Coordinator Sara Sunderman at 402-817-0613 prior to dropping them off.
- Create “Notes To Go”. You can help us send a message of hope and encouragement in every boxed meal we provide by writing a note or drawing a picture on a note card and mailing them to us. We will include a note card with every meal as long as they last!
- Connect with us on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn), especially during this time of social distancing. Share our messages and spread the word that meals and other services are still available.
- Pray and keep us in your good thoughts during these challenging and uncertain days.
Thank you for your compassion for the working poor and homeless. We truly appreciate your support!