Hope is Contagious Too
Services are Ongoing
Matt Talbot is committed to serving individuals and families experiencing homelessness and near homelessness with dignity and compassion during the COVID-19 pandemic. Our community is experiencing an increase in cases of COVID-19 and is currently in the high risk category. Lincoln Lancaster County Health Department has also issued a new DHM effective August 26, 2021. This DHM states “Any individual or entity which owns or operated any building, business, or premises, other than a residence shall require all individuals to wear a face covering over their mouth and nose while indoors.” Therefore all Matt Talbot staff, volunteers, and guests are once again required to wear masks when in the facility. Guests dining in will be allowed to remove their masks when “seated to eat or drink, or while immediately consuming food or beverage” as per the new DHM.
Other modifications to service delivery currently include:
- Guests can dine inside the dining room, sit at picnic tables outside the facility, or take their meal "to-go".
- Limited breakfast items and coffee are available in the dining room.
- Lunch is served everyday from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm and dinner is served from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm.
- Bottled water and small cartons of milk are supplied by Matt Talbot for each meal.
- Kitchen volunteers are required to wear gloves.
- Matt Talbot's day shelter services are open.
- Matt Talbot’s housing & case management, mail distribution, street outreach, counseling and substance use evaluation services are critical and ongoing. Precautions are taken to mitigate the risk of virus transmission.
- Donations of hygiene items and bottled water are appreciated and can be dropped off Monday - Friday from 8:30 am - 6:30 pm. Clothing donations are not accepted.
- Monetary donations are appreciated by mail (PO Box 80935, Lincoln NE, 68501), via our website, or by appointment.
How You Can Help
- Make a financial contribution through our website. Your gift during this crisis provides essential services for those who need food, shelter, support and hope.
- Give the gift of a gift card! We have a special need for gift cards to grocery stores, Walmart or Target. These can be mailed directly to us at PO Box 80935, Lincoln NE, 68501.
- Provide a meal for our guests from a local restaurant. Contact Sydne at 402-817-0622 to see about available dates.
- Make or donate washable cloth face masks for our staff and guests. Donations can be mailed to Matt Talbot or dropped off by appointment (please contact Victoria at 402-817-0623 to arrange a drop off time).
- Check out our Amazon Wish List where specific items needed for outreach can be purchased. We are practicing social distancing as much as possible, but if you would like to purchase these items locally you may bring them to Matt Talbot during regular business hours. Please contact Outreach Coordinator Sara Sunderman at 402-817-0613 prior to dropping them off.
- Create “Notes To Go”. You can help us send a message of hope and encouragement in every boxed meal we provide by writing a note or drawing a picture on a note card and mailing them to us. We will include a note card with every meal as long as they last!
- Connect with us on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn), especially during this time of social distancing. Share our messages and spread the word that meals and other services are still available.
- Pray and keep us in your good thoughts during these challenging and uncertain days.
Thank you for your compassion for the working poor and homeless. We truly appreciate your support!